Monday 16 March 2015

Marathon Number 1 done!

The nerves set in on Friday night and as a result I had very little sleep.  Maureen, Ger and Ali (the NCW crew) arrived back from NCW bright and early at 8am.  Four of us including Gavin drove to Tralee. All  nerves disappeared as soon as I got to the start line.


When the photographers saw us they wanted pictures and I met Mikey for the first time who was also doing the Tralee Marathon to raise funds for the Mercy Hospital. Before I knew it we had lined up to start.  

It was a cold frosty morning but at least it was dry.  As we began to head out of town a lot of the runners wished me look and asked how was Pat doing, some had heard me on radio Kerry, others had seen the articles in the newspapers.  There was lots of support as we headed out of town and when I hit mile 2 Gavin and the NCW crew were there to wish me well.  

It was a nice comfortable run at this stage and once we arrived in Ardfert there was once again great support and yes there was Gavin and the NCW crew.  The road from Banna to Fenit was probably the hardest as it was all back roads which I found lonely.  It was along here that I started to think of Pat and what he has gone through.  

When I finally arrived in Fenit there was a big crowd of supporters waiting for me, Gavin, Maureen, Ger and Ali were joined by Berna and Cyrl who had travelled from NCW also, they were also joined by Tom, Adrian and Oisin.  Heading out from Fenit the route was all hills and the wind from the sea was quite strong, I was on the road home and at this stage I was not going to give up.

We turned into the Kerries and had one more hill to climb before the final decent home.  Mile 24 my legs were fresh and I decided to go for it.  Coming into the Mall to the finish line, I was overwhelmed by the cheers from the crowd, the Guy on the speaker spoke about my Mercy Marathon Challenge, and just as I was close to the finish line Gavin was waiting for me, I got a big hug and we finished together.  As I crossed the line and had photographs taken,  I was joined by all of the NCW crew, Dan and Nuala who had travelled from West Limerick, Yvonne and Thomas, Tom and Mary who had ran the half marathon, Noel who had ran the half marathon and who now starts to train for the Dublin marathon, Kathleen and Amy, and my very special friends from Killarney who are running in relay teams in Cork and Limerick, Bernie and her husband, Majella, Susan and their Mom.  


At no stage throughout the 26.2 miles did I feel that I couldn't do it, my legs felt good and I enjoyed the run.  Only once did I question what had I let myself in for??  I had set out a time of 4 hrs 15 minutes to finish and was delighted when I crossed the finish line at 4 hrs 4 mins.

This is all about raising funds for cancer research and the Mercy Hospital, when Pat was diagnosed with oesophageal cancer last May we asked why and were told bad luck.  All funds that we raise will go towards this research. It won't necessarily give Pat any answers but hopefully it will help others.  For me I have just to run marathons, for everyone else all I ask is to donate and support this very worthy fundraiser. 

Four weeks until Marathon number 2. April 12th I head to Connemara.  Very little rest, physio for me on Wednesday and then straight back into training .........................................

_____________________________________________________________________
To donate please use http://fundraise.mercyfundraising.ie/marathonbrenda

Don't forget to share my facebook page:https://www.facebook.com/mercymarathons

No comments:

Post a Comment