Tuesday 18 August 2015

I survived 4 marathons in 4 days ....................................


I can only describe the quadrathon as one of the best events that I have ever taken part in.  I arrived at the start line on day 1 and soon discovered that I was one of the few participants who had never done such an event before.............The 4 days consisted of running around the Inishowen 100.  I met the most amazing people.  Ken who had taken part in a race in Belfast only 3 weeks before (this consisted of running around a track for 24 hours)!!!!, Derek from West Limerick who just runs and runs ................., Karen from the UK who is currently on her 92nd marathon and Barry from Sligo who without his company on Day 4 it would have been an uphill struggle to the end, there were so many other amazing participants that I met over the four days that it would be impossible to name everyone.

I had given myself a target of 20 hours for the 105.80 miles and was delighted to finish at a time of 19 hours and 20 minutes.  Pat, Gavin and Colin were there every few miles, to motivate, feed me and soothe any aching muscles and by the end of day 1 they were more well known that I was !!!
Well done to Ger who took part in the marathon on Day 3.

From the minute we arrived in Donegal we were welcomed by Margaret, John Francis, JJ and Nuala and their hospitality was much appreciated.  Thank you to everyone that sent messages of support before, after and during each race, all of these helped to keep me motivated over the four days.  I never thought that I would ever be able to complete such a challenging event and now that I have you never know what lies ahead .......................

2 marathons of the 12 left, this week will be rest and then it will be back to training for Dingle on Sept 5th with an unbelievable total raised to date of 18,085.80 euro.

I cannot believe the support that I am receiving throughout this challenge.  Una is there whenever I need her to make sure that I remain injury free,  a phone call to Annie on Monday morning and it was not a problem for her to fit me in to get my feet back to normal.

I had thought that I would finish in Donegal and Pat, Gavin and Colin would be waiting for me and this is who was there to welcome me at the finish line......................
                                                          THANK YOU SO MUCH



Don't forget To donate please use http://fundraise.mercyfundraising.ie/marathonbrenda

Don't forget to share my facebook page:https://www.facebook.com/mercymarathons

No comments:

Post a Comment