Sunday 12 April 2015

The hills of Connemara - marathon number 2 ...........................

We travelled to Galway yesterday for number collection, I think by the time we got there so had all 3,000 other participants.  Once I had collected the number we met up with Ger, Maureen, Ali and Cori who had travelled from Limerick to support me and we headed out to the cottage that we had booked for the night.

I didn't sleep very well and Pat insisted that I get the participants bus at 8am from Galway Cathedral so that I would be there on time.  A guy from Dublin sat beside me on the 1 hour journey to the start line, I was absolutely shocked when he told me that he worked in a medical device company that make devices for Consultants who treat people who have problems with their OESOPHAGUS, I think that he got a bigger shock when I told him about Pat.

We arrived at the start line,  1 hr 30 mins before the start, it was absolutely freezing and there was no shelter.  10.30 we started and for the first 6 miles for the first time ever I struggled, my music couldn't even keep me happy.  I decided I had 20 miles to go I could either be miserable or get on with it as I had to finish.  I put my headphones back on and the Riptide Movement 
 came on, now I was more determined than ever keep going.  

For anyone that doesn't know the story behind this song, when Pat started Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy last June this song was played for three weeks by Phil Cawley on Today FM, it became our song and we know that we can get through it ..................

I was guaranteed hills in Connemara and that is exactly what we got, there was no point in being elated when I got up one hill because as soon as I got down, I was up another one.  Mile 22 - 24 was a hill/climb/mountain.  At the bottom most runners around me started to walk and I was determined that I was going to run, walking was not an option.  I was glad to get to the top (ran all the way) and was delighted to see Pat, Gavin, Colin and Ger there to cheer me on.  2 miles to go and it looked downhill.  At mile 25 Maureen, Ali and Cori were there, 1 mile to go and guess what another hill........

I crossed the finish line absolutely delighted in what I would definitely describe as the toughest marathon that I have ever done. The next 10 can only get easier ........................

We got the bus back to Galway and I had a dip in the sea to cool my muscles before the long journey back to Kerry.

A huge thank you to my support crew who travelled to Connemara, this journey would be very difficult without you.




Even though today was tough, what I am doing is easy, Pat had the difficult journey and this journey is all about raising funds for Cancer Research.  All donations are hugely welcome. Donate here

For now I am off to bed to test out Eamonn's theory of wearing my skins to bed for recovery.

Tomorrow I have a short run, physio with Una on Wednesday and then straight back into training for Limerick on May 3rd.


1 comment: