Saturday 24 October 2015

The last of 12 in 8 months

I cannot believe that I am already at marathon number 12,  thank you to everyone that has supported me in any way, without you I would not be here.....happy.....sad........lonely.......excited................ 
For this marathon I will have the company of Pat and two very dear friends.I am so proud of Pat who will be running his first marathon, 12 months ago Pat was being fed by a feeding tube having had chemotherapy, radiotherapy and surgery to remove his oesophagus now he is fit and ready to run 26.2 miles. #soproud... #letsfightcancer







Noel has been there for us since Pat was diagnosed with oesophageal cancer.  The most supportive friend that anyone can ask for.  First marathon for Noel in Dublin and he is guaranteed to do a super time.  















Mark has travelled from the UK to join us in Dublin, he is a pro at marathon running and we have previously ran the Dublin and Barcelona marathons together.  Started the marathons together and I managed to beat him on both occassions !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (sorry Mark)  I promise to wait for you in Dublin..............................









All of the 11 marathons that I have ran over the last 8 months were for Pat, marathon number 12 is for a very dear friend who was also treated in the Mercy hospital, he is now facing his own very difficult challenge, 26.2 miles in Dublin will be ran for you Joe.

From the very beginning in March this challenge was not about me, I do not in any way regard myself as a hero, the hero's are the cancer patients who fight this dreadful disease every day.

The money   €23104.80 to date

 that we raise will be used to part-fund a research programme into the causes of Oesophageal cancer. In particular the project will produce a mapping of bacteria in the oesophagus in patients that are at various different stages of Oesophagitis. The project will be based in UCC. In our view research is the only way to increase the survival rates for those that are unfortunate enough to suffer from cancer at any stage in their lives.


Thank you to everyone that has donated so far and for sharing and liking my facebook page and posts.

For anyone that would like to donate please use http://fundraise.mercyfundraising.ie/marathonbrenda

Please share my facebook page:https://www.facebook.com/mercymarathons 

Marthon number 12 of 8 months ..................... the countdown begins ..................................................



No comments:

Post a Comment